The world has evolved into Knowledge-based and Digital Economy era. There are invention and research on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), Autonomous Aerial Vehicle (AAV) or Drone to be functional in industry and agriculture. UAVs, AAV or Drone have distinct size, design and characteristics and are able to be controlled remotely or even auto-piloting by the embedded program. This technology has more significant role; UAVs are used in the difficult mission which is too dangerous for using manned vehicle. Moreover, it is being used in other fields aside from military such as commercial and agriculture for better efficiency, cost reduction, time consumption and precision. Implementing said technology correlates to Thailand 4.0 20 years Strategies. However, UAVs is new technology for Thailand which has limited knowledge and expertise.
Autonomous Aerial Vehicle Challenge-AAVC
is the collaboration between universities in Thailand where Aerospace engineering program is offered. It consists of 6 universities as follows:
- Kasetsart University (KU)
- Chiang Mai University (CMU)
- King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok (KMUTNB)
- Navaminda Kasatriyadhiraj Royal Thai Air Force Academy (NKRAFA)
- Suranaree University of Technology (SUT)
- King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang (KMITL)
The competitions which have already arranged are as follows:
- The 1st RTAFA UAV Contest in 2013, Navaminda Kasatriyadhiraj Royal Thai Air Force Academy, Thailand.
- The 2nd Autonomous Aerial Vehicle Challenge-AAVC in 2014, Navaminda Kasatriyadhiraj Royal Thai Air Force Academy, Thailand.
- The 3rd Nontri-Autonomous Aerial Vehicle Challenge in 2015, Kasetsart University, Thailand.
- The 4th Autonomous Aerial Vehicle Challenge-AAVC in 2017, Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand.
We aim to provide the opportunity for students and people interested in drones to learn and exchange knowledge, experiences and opinions among participants and specialists from various organizations. It is also to build relationship in the Aeronautical Engineering area and enhance the student’s abilities in preparation for the labor market through the Autonomous Aerial Vehicle Challenge.
In 2018, the Faculty of Engineering, Chiang Mai University has been honored with great pleasure to host The 5th Autonomous Aerial Vehicle Challenge. The event will be held during 22nd – 24th November 2018. We are pleased to welcome the participants from your institutions to attend and actively participate in the event. We hope you will gain the great memorable experiences from this competition.